Friday, June 17, 2011

Memory Lane: Valley Forge

Valley Forge. Hearing that brings back so many memories.

When my parents told me that we were moving from Arizona, where I was born and had grown up, I was very upset (to say it nicely). My mom said "don't you trust the God has a perfect plan for you? Just think of what wonderful things He has in store for your life!" I wasn't convinced yet. But once we moved to Pennsylvania and attended a new church with new youth I was feeling better about the decision. The first Sunday we attended Immanuel PCA the pastor came up to introduce himself to my parents and stopped one of the young men to escort us (my brother and I) to the Sunday school class. That young man was Jake. I was hooked on the church from then on. Jake sat with us and I drooled over him the entire class. He was the nicest boy I had ever met and he was SO CUTE! I could go on listing things that struck me about him but I wouldn't want to make anyone uncomfortable. ;)

We never really dated. I would call what we did courting. We were always with a group of friends. I loved that because we never felt any pressure to do anything we shouldn't. It helped us stay pure. We are so blessed in this day and age.

Anyway, back to Valley Forge. For our first "date" Jake built a few bikes for me, the 2 foreign exchange students we had living with us at the time and one for himself. He came to my parents house and picked us up. He took us to Valley Forge to ride bikes together. He spent the entire time stopping and helping the girls learn to ride their bikes. They had never learned before. Which was sweet of him but it annoyed me at the time. I wanted him to spend all his time with me. I didn't even think he liked me but that night the one exchange student said "Oh he loves you! You will end up together for sure!" I said, "haha sure lady whatever you say! He's WAY out of my league!" I guess she read the signs right! :)

From then on we frequented Valley Forge. We even had our engagement pictures taken there. It has a special place in our hearts.

Well last weekend we took the kids there for the first time. We got to look at the sights and tell the kids about the historic places and show them where we had our pictures taken so long ago (10 years almost!! We had pictures taken about 2 years before we were married).



I'm looking forward to many more fond memories in Valley Forge with my precious family. And many more pictures! :)


(I'll add some engagement pictures when I get them downloaded onto the computer. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment