Back in late 2001- early 2002 I decided I would adopt one of my dear friends puppies when they were born. I decided before they were born that I wanted the runt. I preferred a male and the runt. But I would have loved a female as well. I asked my boyfriend at the time (now husband) if he would be okay with it, and he was. And I asked for some extra time at work so I would have enough cash to buy him. Well, Feb 12th came and the puppies were here!! I was SO excited! They were at my best friends house so I went to visit a lot. We gave all the puppies fun names and I named my runt Mohave. He was adorable and tiny. I loved him. He seemed strong and playful. Perfect. Well, a few days before I would be able to take him home something tragic happened. He was stepped on or kicked by one of his brothers or sisters and he wasn't as strong as we had thought. He passed away. We were all devastated. We had a little service. I cried so hard that day. My friends parents said they had 2 males left that hadn't been purchased yet so I could have my choice from them. One of them was "Spottie". We called him that because he was the only puppy with a huge white spot on his back. He was so sweet and always played with Mohave. So I picked him. He was my Tuzigoot. My Tuz. I had no idea that day when I picked up that boy that he would become my best friend. The one who never got mad at me for yelling or losing my temper. The one who would always be with me when I was sad. The one who would cuddle with me when I was lonely. Tuzi came with me everywhere. He came to work with me. He went to the store with me. I planned my day around things I could do with him. He was truly my best friend. Tuzi was a year old when Jake and I got married. Then in 2005 we had our first baby, Lucinda. And Tuzi was a champ! He let that baby do whatever she wanted to him and he didn't move a muscle. He loved Lucinda and Lucinda loved him. He was so patient. I didn't know when I decided to take Tuzi home that bernese mountain dogs life span is really short, 6-9 years. The time went by too quickly. My time with Tuzi was cut short by several tumors he had in his body. He was taken from us while I was pregnant with Titus. It was August 21, 2009. This service was much harder than the one we had 7 years earlier for Mohave. This was my boy, my best friend, my love that I was putting in the ground. It didn't help that I was pregnant and emotional and that I had 2 little children asking me why Tuzi couldn't get up to play with them. And asking me why I was crying. It was excruciating. It still is. Even now as I write this my eyes are full of tears. He will always be 'that dog'. The dog you think about when someone says "cat or dog?" or "did you ever have a favorite pet?" He was it. (my cat is pretty great too she's pushing 20 years now so I may be writing something like this for her soon).
Since Tuzi passed I hadn't been able to look at his pictures without filling up. I still do. But I feel like its time for me to share his story, his impact on me and my family. Everyone loved Tuzi. You just had to. He sat next to you and looked up and you could tell he wanted you to pet him. He had gentle eyes and he was well behaved. Never jumped or licked (unless told to...."Tuzi dance" or "give me a kiss Tuz"). He was a love.
We love you Tuzi. At least now I know you're not in pain.
Tuzigoot and I on the day I brought him home.
Me (pregnant with L) and my aunt with Tuzi.
My Grandma and Tuzi
My brother with Tuzi
Me and Tuzi
Tuzi in the snow
Tuzi in a shirt...because I could. He didn't mind. :)
Tuzi and Lucinda (13 months)
Tuzi and Lucinda (16 months)
Jake and Tuzi the week before he passed away.
Tuzi and I (very pregnant with Titus) the week before he passed away.
Wrapping Tuzi for burial.
Lucinda picked a beautiful flower to put on him before he was buried.
And one for on top.
This is how I will always remember him. Smiling.

















He was such a sweet, cute dog. I miss him too. I wish they lived longer. His parents were great too, it's so hard to say goodbye
ReplyDeleteHe had fantastic parents, which is why he was fantastic. It is very hard to say goodbye. I think its been hardest for me with Tuz because he was before kids. He WAS my kid. He was my baby. So its hard for me to let go of him. The thought of saying goodbye to Bella or Fiona now doesn't make me sad at all. They're just dogs. He was my baby. Same thing with Weeb. I've had her since I was 8 it'll be hard to say goodbye to her as well.
ReplyDeleteOh, Becky this made me cry. It is very difficult to lose a friend like this.
ReplyDeleteIt is. But what a blessing the time we had with them was!
ReplyDelete